HISTORY OF OUR CONGREGATIONS
Broken Bay Parish is made up of two congregations, Ettalong founded first .... and Umina which followed ....
Research has revealed that a William Eames Kirkness took services on behalf of the Methodist Church during the construction of the Woy Woy tunnel, commenced on the 18th July 1886. Originally services were held in a tin shed, but still drew a healthy congregation after a short time.
Ettalong Methodist Church opened in Picnic Parade in January 1932. At the time, the local community was approximately 160 strong, and the congregations were often up to 50 people. Ettalong had the reputation of being a resort beach location, and drew tourists from afar.
In 1935, Umina Methodist Church was established. Originally, the location was the corner of West and Oscar Streets (currently now occupied by Coles Supermarket)! The churches were ministered from Gosford Circuit in a specially built shed on the Ettalong property.
On the 3rd July 1937 the Woy Woy Presbyterian Church was opened in Victoria Street.
In 1969 the Presbyterian Minister Reverend Watson retired and the congregations were left without a Minister as there were none available. The Elders of that church in Woy Woy approached the authorities of the Methodist Church and it was amicably agreed to hold joint services. On the 19th December 1970, the first United Church service began.
The Uniting Church in Australia (UCA) was officially established on the 22nd June 1977 when most congregations of the Methodist Church of Australasia, the Presbyterian Church of Australia and the Congregational Union of Australia came together under the Basis of Union.
The Uniting Church in Australia is widely considered and often described as being a progressive-liberal church, supporting progressive causes.
At Ettalong and Umina Uniting Churches we would like to invite all our community. We are made up of an assortment of people, young and old and all are welcome.
Our arms and spirits are open.